Some days are just a 'bottoms-up' kind of day!!

Jan 2, 2008

Memory Ornaments

When I was un-decorating today, I decided it was time to get rid of some old stuff. A wreath, some small metal trees, a bunch of gift bags, some ornaments and more. As I took items off the trees, I started to have a nostalgia attack!

Just looking at some of the ornaments brought me back to my childhood. Remember those big, honking light sets we used to have? Big thick electrical cord and bulb glass so thick you couldn't break it without stepping on it! Mom and Dad had the most beautiful garland that I used to love to touch because it was so soft. It was a deep red rope of velour. I still have a small piece of it, about 2 feet long. It's over 50 years old! I turned 50 yesterday, and it hit home. 50!! That's a LONG time!

I remember how fragile the glass balls were and I stuck my fingers through many with my little 5 year old hands. Like the velour rope, I have a few of the original tree ornaments that my Mom and Dad had. They have to be at least 50 years old as well, but likely older. They are getting thin and more fragile every year and I thought it was time to take a photo of them, just in case I lost them.

These are the oldest baubles
















This was made by me after my dad died in 2002.
I used some flowers from the funeral arrangement.





These were found in the attic of the first house we bought.
We also found old magazines and newspapers from the '30s and '40s!
Not sure how old these ones are.








20 comments:

Anonymous said...

great thing to capture and I love that each one has it's own story!
Cari

Kristi said...

You have some gorgeous ornaments! Great captures! This inspires me to take some of my own!

cherie said...

great shots. I meant to do this this year and never got around to it. wanted to take photos of the ornaments that had special meaning to them and make a scrapbook.

Lauren Hartman said...

These are lovely Debb, I like the vintage feel they all have.

Unknown said...

i dont know why tehy dont make ornaments like that now! My mom has cool ones that were my grandma's that they got once she passed away (that I"ll swipe one of these years shhhh)....

FUN shots!

pat said...

Debb--love the new avatar! And, those ornaments really struck a chord with me. I got out all my old ornaments my folks used, and they are the same vintage as yours. Had a really retro tree this year. I think I will photo some of the really fragile ones, like your idea.

--sme said...

I like the neutral backgroud and how you included just enough branch to give setting without being overbearing. The collection of photos would go so nicely together in a large collage.

Michelle said...

what a great collection! i bet your tree was beautiful with all those on it.

Angela2932 said...

I also think these photos would look good in a collection together. Or even a flikr type mosaic collage to add to your blog. . . just a thought

Anonymous said...

Good idea. I love old ornaments.

Anonymous said...

What a neat idea to photograph these. I love "old" things, and especially if they are family things that hold sentimental value as well. Great captures both of the ornaments and your memories.

Mom2Drew said...

I love how your ornaments have stories behind them. The ones of the flowers from the funeral are especially touching. Everytime I stop by your blog, I just love reading your entries...you so have a way with words that I probably am starting to sound like a broken record.

Val said...

Cool ornaments!!

Debby said...

Great way to capture the history of your ornaments. It would make an awesome themed mini album.

Sue said...

those are beatuiful. My favorite is the one you made :)

Becky said...

I think it's great that you documented these in photos. I get nostalgic every year with my ornaments, too. Unwrapping them every year is one of my favorite parts of Christmas.

Tori said...

These are beautiful ornaments Debb!

Mandy said...

Wow! My grandmother passed some of those down to my dad and I can't believe they have survived...all of yours look so well taken care of. Its great to take pictures of them, because they are so brittle.

Sara said...

What a fun trip down memory lane. The ornaments are so old, they look hip again. Gotta love that!
Happy birthday, cyber friend.
50 isn't old, btw- it's well experienced and seeasoned.

Anonymous said...

WOW Debb, some of those ornaments look so familiar, however we don't have anymore so I think its great you took pics of them, would make a great scrappin' layout lol.

Karen

My Visitors

My Own Karma

kar·ma (kär'me) -- [from the root kri, "to do" "to make"] - is the means by which you become the architect of your own destiny....actions set in motion.....