Some days are just a 'bottoms-up' kind of day!!

Jan 22, 2008

January Blahs


I heard on the news yesterday that the third monday of January is known as Blue Monday. It's apparently the saddest day of the year for a lot of people. Resolutions are broken, holiday bills are pouring in, the weather is depressing and cold. This year things are even worse with rising gas prices and even worse for some because of the crash of the TSE yesterday!! Yikes!
I'm glad I don't suffer from S.A.D.

I can't say I love winter, or slushy driving conditions or frigid temperatures. I don't love having to wear layers of clothes inside because our house is so cold. I don't like that it gets dark so early. But, I am proud be a Canadian and I live in a wonderful city that is surrounded by lakes and forests and clean, fresh air.

They say that the cure for the saddest day of the year is exercise!! I can't say that I love exercise either, but I do love the fresh air and the outdoors.

So, I bundled up in my parka, snow boots, Hot Paws mitts, Penguin hat and took the dog for a walk. I didn't want to bring my dSLR because it was way too cold out, so I grabbed my old 3mp Sony P&S and went out on Lake Ramsey. The sun was getting low in the sky and it was dull and grey, but what a beautiful day!! The skating path was plowed and ready for eager skaters, but this day it was just me, Gracie, one ice-fisher dude and one skater... on the whole lake and on the boardwalk beside it!!

So, where was everyone? If exercise is supposed to be the cure, why weren't there more people out there walking, skating, skiing?

Hmmm, I guess Blue Monday didn't affect anyone in Sudbury!! Not only are we the Nickel Capitol of the world, I guess we're also the happiest! ha ha

15 comments:

Mandy said...

I love the the last photo. It really does say "blue monday" to me when I see it.

Gosh...I never knew that their was a saddest say of the year. Guess I was too busy being happy to acknowledge it.

Anonymous said...

Oh I love that last photo...I am so sick of the winter blahs! Come on summer!
Cari

pat said...

Yea, Debb! Been missing you. Like the new header; perfect for the season, and very wonderfully starkly B&W. The posted tree shot is nice, too. Good for you for getting out and about! Or would that be "oot and aboot". Sorry.

Reds said...

Love your last pic! How can you feel blue looking at that!! Thanks for sharing! :)

Mom2Drew said...

Ooo, I can feel that chill in the air. I really like that first pic with the sun trying to peer through.

Stacey said...

Beautiful photos! I love the header to your blog!

Sara said...

First of all, I'm so glad to see you post!
Secondly, I have to tell you I had to "maximize" my screen to fully enjoy your new baner. It is a beautiful scene.
Those pics are stunning. Really. All the color you captured and the comp really sum up a winter day.
Great to see you, Debb!

April Michelle said...

learned something new - great photos!

Tera Fraley said...

Very cool!! Never heard of that before, glad it isnt affecting you!! I love that last photo, it looks so peaceful.

Suzy said...

Beautiful photos!!

Amy said...

That last photo is just gorgeous!

April said...

oh wow..that last picture is fantastic..looks great.

Becky said...

I love the way the sun is trying to pop out in that first shot. Really goes along with your journaling. And that second shot is beautiful--nothing gloomy about that. Being in Maine, if I let the winter get to me in January, I'd be miserable. I try to wait until April to start complaining. ;-)

Margaret said...

These are beautiful shots!

Jessica said...

brrrrr!! I love the contrast of the dark tree against the snow, quite lovely!

My Visitors

My Own Karma

kar·ma (kär'me) -- [from the root kri, "to do" "to make"] - is the means by which you become the architect of your own destiny....actions set in motion.....