Some days are just a 'bottoms-up' kind of day!!

Aug 16, 2007

My Diagnosis

Thank you friends, family and web buddies who have asked how I've been. It's been a long haul, but I'm finally starting to see some sunshine regarding my health issues. If you don't want to read any more about bowels and gastrointestinal stuff - you can be excused! Thanks for dropping by! :)

Yesterday, I had a colonoscopy. Some you might be saying to yourself, "ew" - but really, you need to do yourself a favour and have one. For some, it can be a life saver. For me, it confirmed that I have Crohn's disease.

If you wish to read my first two health posts, they're here and here.

A few months ago I had an upper GI and Small Bowel Follow Through exam. The prep for the test was HORRENDOUS! First I had to eat soft foods for a day, then the next day drink fluids only. I had to take a solution called Citro-Mag. Ewww, ewww, ewww. It tasted like pure lemon juice with the consistency of a thick syrupy drink. That stuff was wicked!!
I had such incredible cramping and pain during the night and the trips to the bathroom were many and violent. I was so exhausted and weak the next day. The test itself was a breeze, although time consuming. After I got home I ate and then went to sleep!

For the colonoscopy test all I had to do was drink fluids the day before. I drank clear juices, tea, broth and Gatorade [recommended]. I swear, I will probably never, ever drink Gatorade again if I can help it!! At 6pm I had to take a solution called Pico-Salax. You mix the package into a half cup of juice or water or Gatorade. The next dose was taken the following morning at 5am. This time I had very little cramping but I was nauseous and threw up once. I slept all through the night without having to go to the bathroom once. I guess the second dose made things kick in because by 7am things were moving!! I expected much worse, so I can honestly say that this prep was a breeze!!

I had to be at the hospital one hour before the test. Not sure why because I just sat there in my hospital gown and housecoat doing nothing. It was kind of funny, really. I felt like a cow being led to slaughter!! There were about 5 or 6 patients at a time in the waiting room. All of us in our hospital garb, waiting for the inevitable test! I struck up a conversation with one woman who was there on the advice of her doctor. She was there for a routine scope. She had to be there TWO hours before. Can't figure that out!

Finally a nurse asked me to sit in a little cubicle where she asked me a few questions about meds and health history and she took my blood pressure and weighed me. BTW, at this point - I have lost a total of 13 pounds since my symptoms started. I'm actually quite happy at this weight and I'd be happy if I stayed here.

In the mean time there are patients coming and going every 5 minutes or so. To and from a scope of their own. I'm amazed at how many people are having this procedure done. From what I understood, there were three doctors at the hospital on that day. Perhaps they are only done on Wednesdays, but still, that's a LOT of scopes!!

Now I'm led to a curtained area to a stretcher. My belongings and my housecoat and shoes are put on the shelf below and I'm covered with a blanket, given a pillow for my head and wheeled down the hall wait for my turn. About 15 minutes later I'm taken to the "procedure" room. My doctor and another nurse are there. I'm fitted with a pulse monitor and given an IV of a mild sedative. I felt it kick in, but I was still awake, kinda. The scope itself seemed to last only moments. But I think it generally lasts about 15-20 minutes. There were some moments where I felt a lot of pain, but the doc just eased off on the air and I was relieved somewhat. He removed a small ulcer near the inflammation site and will send it for biopsy. I am not concerned about cancer at this point because all my other tests have been positive and are not leading to that at all.

Then I am taken to the "fart room". I laugh, because a friend of my DH has scopes done every 2 years. He calls the recovery room the "fart room". This is where you are encouraged to pass gas before you go home! Too funny! There we are, 3-4 people on stretchers being asked to pass gas!! Of course, all of being ladies in the room, we were quite discreet! We were given juice and cookies and about 20minutes later, we could leave! Because of the sedative given, we are asked to have someone drive us home. I felt quite fine and because I live only a 5 minute walk away, I decided to walk home.

The first thing I had when I got home was my usual morning latte! MMMmmmm. Then I had a bowl of cereal and a nap!

So, everyone, I encourage you - no I urge you to never, ever be embarrassed to have a colonoscopy. It's truly not a bad experience at all. It could literally save your life. Mine diagnosed Crohn's, which is completely manageable - but for some it reveals colon cancer. Early detection is key.

I was given a prescription for a very mild dose of Prednisone for 5 weeks duration. Each week the dose is decreased by 5mg. I am also taking Pentasa, which is an anti-inflammatory. Hopefully in a few days I will be feeling more like myself again. I am looking forward to becoming active again and enjoying life a bit more than I've been able to lately. My camera has certainly taken a back seat in the last few months.

Thanks again to those of you who have asked about me. I appreciate your concern for me.

If you suffer from Crohn's or know someone that does - I would love to hear from you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wooooooooo Hoooooooooo a post!!! I loved reading about your procedure Debb causing JP has to have it done very soon. His family has many in it that had colon cancer and some that have died from it, so his mother told him to get it done!!!!

What a freakin' adventure, your quite the trooper girl!

Missed your pics and just plain you, hope your feeling better real soon :)

Karen

My Visitors

My Own Karma

kar·ma (kär'me) -- [from the root kri, "to do" "to make"] - is the means by which you become the architect of your own destiny....actions set in motion.....