Some days are just a 'bottoms-up' kind of day!!

Aug 26, 2007

A Trip to Killarney

Killarney is a tiny little community where the North Channel (above Manitoulin Island) meets Georgian Bay, about an hour southwest of my home town of Sudbury. The hills around the town are topped with white quartzite crystals.

The town was originally a fur-trading post, and a popular resting spot for voyageurs, midway between the French River and the North Channel, on their way to the St. Mary's River to Lake Superior. The town was once only accessible by water to Manitoulin Island until 1962, when a highway connected the community to Sudbury. One of the nicest Provincial Parks is located nearby. Killarney is now a quiet vacation town except during FISH AND CHIPS season!

For the past several years, actually more like 15 or maybe more, we've made at least one trip a year to Killarney for fish and chips. Herbert Fisheries, a little chip stand that has been around for decades serve the BEST [and I mean the BEST] fish and chips.... ever! They serve out of a small red school bus from May through October, 7 days a week. I can't imagine how much fish and potatoes they must serve each summer! They truly are to die for!!

Anyway, it is such a small town [only about 600 population], but such a huge tourist place. There's not much to see, as they have only one main road, but what is there is beautiful. Wonderful views of where the channel opens up into Georgian Bay. Sometimes humongous, honking yachts go sailing through and then you might see a canoe or kayaker go by! Some of the towns people have quaint little homes and others look like old cottages, barely standing. There's one church, a few gifts shops and a General Store. Two resorts are situated on either end of Main Street and both are wonderful places to stay.

Back to the fish and chips, because it's really all about the fish and chips. We started taking our girls there when they were small. At first they could barely get through their shared order of fish and chips, but now find that it's not enough! For $11 [it went up this year] you get 3-4 pieces of lightly dusted fried fish and a whole bunch of fries. You can have lemon sauce, tartar sauce, vinegar, malt vinegar, salt or pepper on the side! It amazes me how organized and efficient they are in serving the hoards of people that order. My dad especially loved going on our annual trek and I always think of him now when I'm there. He SO loved the fish. Today, we took Meghan's boyfriend with us. It was his first time ever there and he was not disappointed!

I took quite a few pics today. Used my 50-200mm which I don't normally do. It was very sunny, so I had some exposure issues, but all in all I thought they turned out pretty good. I just posted some of my favs. Even one of little 'ol me!!

Hope you enjoyed my little tour of Killarney!!
Thanks for stopping by.

I'm anxious for the POTD Dance theme! I'm gonna rock with this one!!!






















3 comments:

Kathy King Photographer said...

Debb, this looks like a great place and tradition. Great photos. They give us a very good idea of why you love to go there. By the way this is my first trip to your Blog. Love the Canidian leaf and your title!

Joanne Fowler said...

What a great place! These pics make me want to go there! You should make them a brochure! LOL

Tera Fraley said...

Such great pics!! Looks like a neat place, I love the chairs next to the water, the crashed boat.. great shots!!

My Visitors

My Own Karma

kar·ma (kär'me) -- [from the root kri, "to do" "to make"] - is the means by which you become the architect of your own destiny....actions set in motion.....