Some days are just a 'bottoms-up' kind of day!!

Apr 1, 2007

More people shooting!

My goal for this month was to get out and practice taking pictures of PEOPLE! I really lack experience with metering and exposure of skin. So, my youngest daughter M and her guy J were my very willing subjects. We walked down the street to the bush area overlooking Lake Ramsey and Science North. It was about 6:30pm and the sun was already quite low in the sky. I used my Grey Card for setting the White Balance. And for the first time, I shot in FULL MANUAL. I must say that I am incredibly pleased with the results. The only problem that I noticed, was a bit of a reddish tone on some of them, so I just corrected the colours in Photoshop. Most of them didn't need any extensive editing, so other than crop and the odd colour adjustment, they are pretty much straight outta the camera. Seems I also need some practice with posing ideas. Besides trying to find a unique pose, I found myself checking for limbs that looked out of place, [I mean arms and legs!!], wrinkles in clothing, shadows on the face, etc, etc. I used to be pretty good at that kinda stuff, but man, I've lost my touch!! If you have any feedback for me, I gratefully accept both positive and negative CC!!










7 comments:

Dar Kaso said...

These turned out great. Im not a huge fan of posed shots so the ones where they seem to be just interacting really jump out at me and show off their affection for one another. Cute couple.

Kathy said...

I think these are all super great. The only ones I thought were so-so were the ones sitting on the hill...too posed and too much distraction. I am just the opposite and mostly shoot people...object scare me.
And I don't think you have lost your touch...!

Amanda said...

you did a pretty good job I think! Very natural. I really like the silhouette one..although I might try a verticle crop with that one. And a few of them seem a bit underexposed.(but that just might be my monitor) Otherwise great job!

Mom2Drew said...

Way to go for getting into manual, using gray card and such...

I agree with amanda, a tad underexposed, but colors look GOOD!

If there was not the background on #3, I love the BnW for that one, seems to really fit the mood.

Oh, and the sillouette is just too cute for words, I know they will love these.

Team Design-Bytes said...

Kudos to you for getting out there and trying something you're not used to doing!!!
-K

Lorrie said...

they are really good. The only Cc i really have is that the white thing(building) in the background of the first two is really distracting. Probably cause I don't have a CLUE what it could be. Looks kinda like a spaceship....
Otherwise, they are just beautiful! I really like the last one!

~~Debb~~ said...

Ha ha, it's funny how the consensus is that the 'thing' in the background is distracting! It's not a spaceship, but it's Science North, a big science centre here in town shaped like a snowflake. It's a city landmark and popular tourist attaction on the lake shore, and it's only a few minutes from home.
I intentionally wanted it in the background, but not being from here or knowing what it was I can understand why you thought it was a distraction!
Thanks so much for the comments, though. Much appreciated!

My Visitors

My Own Karma

kar·ma (kär'me) -- [from the root kri, "to do" "to make"] - is the means by which you become the architect of your own destiny....actions set in motion.....