Some days are just a 'bottoms-up' kind of day!!

Sep 9, 2007

Words

I like words. Words are my friends. I think I discovered my love for words when I was 11 years old and wrote my first poem. I was hooked. Thirty-eight years later, and I'm still fascinated with the written word.

I love to read, I love to do crosswords, I love to write poems and stories, I keep a daily journal and I like to think I'm pretty good at grammar and spelling. Nothing drives me more crazy than words used incorrectly, spelled wrong or with poor grammar. I'm no english major, and I don't care if someone doesn't speak right, but if you're going to write it down for other people to see - make it right!! Look it up in the dictionary if you have to, but make it right!

As much as I enjoy reading a good book, I'm not into classic literature like Shakespeare. Dostoevsky, Orwell, or Bronte. I've never read Crime and Punishment, War and Peace or Wuthering Heights. Sure, I've heard of those timeless authors and famous books, but give me a good Dean Koontz, [my fav], J.K. Rowling, [she's a genius I say!!], Johnathan Kellerman or Patricia Cornwell novel and I'm consumed for hours in their tales! I don't like Romance books or Sci-Fi. I don't care for Non-Fiction unless it's about True Crime or Forensics, [another one of my interests]. I like characters like Kay Scarpetta, Lincoln Rhymes, Alex Delaware or HARRY POTTER!


My favourite poets are Rod McKuen and Emily Dickinson.

I enjoy doing a Crossword puzzle while sitting on the dock at camp in the early morning. Listening to the birds and the sound of the waves is so tranquil - great place for thinking! I like word games like Password and Balderdash and Scattergories, oh, and I LOVE Scrabble. No one else in my family is a fan of Scrabble, so I don't get to play it as often as I'd like!



When I first started writing poetry, I was totally into free verse. Reading back over some of my poems now, it seems I was into weird as well! What was I thinking?? Now I have fun writing in rhyme! Maybe it's because when I was younger, my vocabulary was smaller and I couldn't think of enough words that rhymed!

As some of you may know already, my favourite poem of all time and such an inspiration to me is DESIDERATA, by Max Ehrmann. When I first read his words when I was about 13 years old, they had a profound impact on me. It all made so much sens!! Does anyone remember the recording of this song by Les Crane in 1971? Kinda cheesy, but I love it!



To this day, I'll often turn to those words to remind me that the universe truly is unfolding as it should. And as Max says,

"With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy. "

**************************************
Thanks for visiting Cheers!!

11 comments:

cherie said...

well I love reading your words, you have a gift with them. and the photos you shared with this work so well with the lovely words you wrote.

Sara said...

Ah, Debb. Love your words, too.
And we share that love, as well. You may want to consider adding Debbie MacComber to your list- NOT her romance books- she develops characters, and understands women's friendships like no one else I've read.
And yes, Rowling is a genius. What a masterful storyteller!

amazing grace said...

these are fun pics...like the coloring in the first shot....wish i had time to read right now...been awhile....thanks for the inspiration...:)
leah

pat said...

Debb--oh! Another word lover! I,too, am entranced with the written word and the power of language, not to mention a good crossword. Also, did you know that you can play Scrabble on-line? I am a grammar and spelling Nazi; since you seem to share that view, have you read "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves"? It is a HOOT! Yes, I also love Rowling. I think she in part channels Roald Dahl...

Deb said...

I also love reading your words.

I have an English degree and sometimes my grammar is terrible. Sometimes I think I am a disgrace to my degree, lol.

Love Rowling and LOVE Roald Dahl!

:)

Krystle said...

I love your words, very nicely done. We share a few favorite authors as well. Though I also enjoy the classics. Your pictures seem to be another talent that goes very nicely with your words.

Trisha said...

Your words were delightful today! I loved reading your journalling and I have the same love of words! Love reading, writing, playing the games you mentioned, crosswords (esp. the People Magazine ones LoL), and I love writing my own Children's stories...always rhyming for some reason LoL- Wonderful entry and pictures to go with it! And Harry Potter is my Hero too...

flute4peace said...

Ooh, neat angles and persepectives!

Mom2Drew said...

And...you're so great with words too;)

Oh, and I LOVE harry potter!

April Ziegler said...

Love your journaling. I'm also a lover of the written word. I'm constantly reading and have an ever growing to-be-read list. It's my favorite escape. Love the dof in these shots!

Lorrie said...

great shots. I like the first shot the best.. the conversion really caughy my eye..

My Visitors

My Own Karma

kar·ma (kär'me) -- [from the root kri, "to do" "to make"] - is the means by which you become the architect of your own destiny....actions set in motion.....