Some days are just a 'bottoms-up' kind of day!!

Oct 10, 2007

Bear!

This is the time of year for bears. There have been a lot of nuisance bears in town. There was one in my neighbour's yard a few weeks ago.
Since we've had our cottage, we've sighted a few bears, but never on our own property. I know they're out there, but thankfully, they haven't come around. When we walk back in the bush, we're sure to make lots of noise. At camp, I always freeze my meat scraps until we go home and I always rinse the recyclables and NEVER leave garbage out.
The cottage across from us is on an island. There seems to be more bears over there as we've seen them in their yard a few times. The bears never seem to be there when the neighbours are. I don't know if that's a cooincidence or if they stay away if there are people near by.
Just a few days ago we saw one at another cottage on the island. It was chowing down on grass or something. I hung around for a good 20 minutes or more.
I got DH to take me over in the boat so I could take some photos of it. I had my 50-200mm lens with a 1.5x teleconverter. I didn't get the greatest focus, but I was glad to get the shots I did. This was the closest I have ever been to a bear. We were about 30 feet away I think. You can see in the eyes that it's looking right at me!! I took about a dozen photos, and these were the best.
After we got back to camp, we saw it right across from us at the neighbours again, munching on her potted mums and Mountain Ash tree. Then it made it's way to the next camp. No hurry, no rush. Just searching for something more to eat.



10 comments:

Erika said...

Wow! That's so crazy! Great shots with that zoom and teleconverter!! And I love the look in his eye!

Jessica said...

I agree great shots, I don't think I would like to be that close to a bear!! Wow!

pat said...

Good work Debb--in a boat, with a zoom and teleconverter! Love the one where he's looking right at you. Bears scare me stiff--I always make noise out here; we've had bear and cougar sightings in our neighborhood...

Lorrie said...

HOLY CRAP! that is just tooooo close for me. That bear looks like he could be eating YOU! Great shots, even if they are a bit soft, I assure you they are better than I could EVER get, as I would only be getting shots of a bear if they were behind bars in a ZOO! lol! Congrats on being brave enough to get out and capture that!!

Jess said...

Oh MY!!! You are brave! It's amazing what we will do to get that shot huh? I love that first one, he really is looking right at you! *shiver*

Deb said...

whoa. Insane! Good work. The one where he is looking at you scares me. I guess I'll be glad the only visitors we get are skunks and coyotes.

Tori said...

Oh my word, that would have scared the crap out of me!!! Very cool though! Glad you were able to get some cool shots of him!

Tera Fraley said...

eeek!! I hope you werent too close, great capture!!

cherie said...

GREAT JOB!!!! what a neat capture.

Anonymous said...

Cool pic girl!!! I would be crapping my pants in the woods though, noise or no noise, but I love all the extra care you take to keep them away :)

Karen

My Visitors

My Own Karma

kar·ma (kär'me) -- [from the root kri, "to do" "to make"] - is the means by which you become the architect of your own destiny....actions set in motion.....