Some days are just a 'bottoms-up' kind of day!!

Oct 27, 2007

My Prince Charming ?

We closed up the cottage the other day. It's always a sad time, saying goodbye to the place for the next few months. Besides getting the chores done - packing up the perishables, the freezeables, bedding and clothing, etc., we turned off the power, winterized the water pump and put away all the water toys and canoe. We hung up the snow shovels in a tree. [One winter we got to camp to find they were frozen solid into the ground. We had to 'shovel' with our feet!]

It was quite cool outside, but not raining, so we had a campfire and just sat and stared at the flames for awhile, neither of us talking. It amazes me how long we can stare at dancing flames and jumping sparks. Very mezmerizing.
By the time our campfire had turned to coals, the camp was warm enough to go inside. We took the wood-stove out when we were doing our renovations, so until next summer all we have for heat is a construction heater. It works great, but it takes awhile to heat up the whole camp.

I bought some Roman style, roll-up blinds for the four new windows. Each window is 6x4'- that's a lot of window! I didn't want our place to look like an aquarium with the possibilities for looky-loos and shady snoopers to peek inside - [ not that there any such characters on our lake!!]. So, we installed the blinds mainly for privacy. Also, because there's so much window I didn't want the cute little chickadees and nuthatches to break their necks thinking they could fly through them! So, after the blinds were installed we took a walk in the bush. Our last one of the year. The smell was divine! There is nothing like the fresh, damp, biodegrading smell of fallen leaves and moose poop. No really, it smells like nature. I'd love to bottle that smell and in the middle of winter take the cap off the bottle and take a good whif - so it can take me back to the middle of the bush, at least in my mind.

I took a few photos of water droplets on the leaves. Just a few of them turned out. I was feeling very uncreative lately in the photography department. Must be the rain. Or the lack of GREEN. Or the lack of anything ALIVE!! But, just as we were ready to pack up the recyclables and the empty beer bottles we saw a big, honking TOAD!! This dude's body [or dudette - how can you tell?] was about the size of my fist. I thought for sure he was going to scurry [do toads scurry?] under the camp, but he hopped up onto a rock as if to say, "I'm here for my photo shoot". He sat for me and posed while I took shots from several angles. What a guy!! Don't you wish your guys were that cooperative?



I named him George. Anyway, I started thinking it was a sign. This guy was my good luck charm. First of all, I thought toads and frogs would have already hunkered down for the season, here this one was right out there enjoying the near zero temps! I just kinda knew that it was going to be a great autumn and an even better winter. I knew that our camp would fare the loneliness just fine until we next returned when the ice is safe for crossing. I felt that I was going to have a better year, healthwise. I can't explain it, but George made things feel right.

That evening, back at home there was a clear sky and a gorgeous full moon. I went to Google and look what I found on the first hit!!

The ancient Chinese revered a mythical creature known as the Chan Chu or "Toad God". This toad is believed to be bring good luck, prosperity and wealth to its owner. Frogs have traditionally symbolized good luck and prosperity.
The Chan Chu is said to appear every full moon close to the people who are about to receive good luck regarding money!!

Maybe I should have kissed George!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I would bawl Debb closing up that camp :( waaaaaaaaa. It sure sounds nice and I didn't know you closed it for the winter!

Gotta love George

Karen

pat said...

Debb--LOVE the leaf shot! The way you caught the light in the drops is wonderful. Good work! And, your Prince C is quite the looker!

cherie said...

love the leaf shot, like how you captured the water droplet. nice shots of George !

Jessica said...

I love how you got all the bumps on George's back! Cute story and phots, thanks so much for sharing. I love toads!!

Tori said...

These are great shots Debb and I really enjoyed your journaling as well!

Jess said...

Wow, what a great story! I just love the way you write, it feels like I was THERE!

And your prince charming is cute... in a warty sort of way...;c)

Donnah Ciempka said...

I love the leaf shot - the light is perfect. I can't believe you got close enough to a toad to get that shot. You are braver than me.

Joanne Fowler said...

LOVE the leaf shot! I'm sad for you! Sounds like an awesome place!

Team Design-Bytes said...

Can you send George over here? I wanna get kissed too!
-Kaz

My Visitors

My Own Karma

kar·ma (kär'me) -- [from the root kri, "to do" "to make"] - is the means by which you become the architect of your own destiny....actions set in motion.....