Some days are just a 'bottoms-up' kind of day!!

Oct 19, 2007

My Bad Day

I had one of those days. You know the kind -- when nothing goes right and you just wish you could either start all over again or fast forward to bedtime.
It started out fine, good breakfast, great latté, finished a great novel.
My daughter Lauren called and asked if I could drive her to work today. She's leaving for Ottawa with a friend right after work and she needed to bring her bags to work. She usually walks or takes her bike and couldn't do so with her suitcases. "No prob", I say! So, five minutes before I had to leave to pick her up I went to get the car keys and.... no car keys!! We have two for the car. DH has one [on his key chain - at work] and guess who had the other one? Lauren! Arrggh. So, she had to walk to work afterall, bags and all.

I needed the car today for some errands and a hair cut. So, I thought this would be a good excuse for me to take the dog for a long walk, listen to my mp3 player and pick up the key from my Lauren's work. Twenty five minutes there and back, sunshine and fresh air sounded good. I was tired of the tunes on my player, so I wanted to delete them and add some of Stuart McLean's Vinyl Cafe stories. Love listening to him! First of all, I couldn't find the USB cord for my mp3 player. Finally found it, but couldn't remember how to upload new stuff to it. Finally figured that out but it was taking FOREVER to upload just a few stories. I gave up after 3. No problem - that would give me a good start - about 45 minutes worth of listening.
I loaded up my pack-sack with pooper-scooper, wallet, umbrella and mp3 player. Good to go. Now, Gracie loves going for walks, but without her Halti [gentle, leader collar] she's a complete idiot on the leash. I usually put it on her because she's way more easier to control with it on, especially if we meet up with other dogs, however she HATES it so much and is always trying to rub it off somehow. She flops down on the ground, snout on the grass/gravel/ground and with her butt in the air pushes her self along with her back legs as she slides her face on the ground. I told you - idiot. So, to spare her the discomfort of the Halti today I decided to to just go with the regular collar. Bad idea. The walk was not pleasant. Tug, pull, tug, pull, yank, tug, pull. That annoys me. And to add insult to injury it was windy today. I HATE the wind. And this wasn't just a gentle breeze - it was full gale force in-your-face winds. After walking in it for an hour I felt like I had just been abused. Now I was really annoyed, wind-blown and sweaty, [it is unseasonably warm today, 20ºc and I was overdressed] and I was now getting an ear-ache and headache from the wind.

But, back home once again with the key I could now go do my errands with the car. Had to take some acetamin for my headache first. And change my clothes. I left for the the mall with the intention to buy blinds for the four windows at camp. I planned my time so I could buy the blinds and then go to my appointment for my hair cut. I found the blinds, but there were only two sets, not the four I needed. I had to struggle to get them out of the racks. They're 6' blinds and they were stacked at the BACK of the racks. I stumbled my way to the cash with them, [they were heavy and awkward] I asked if there were two more sets of blinds anywhere in the store? Nope, but the other store in the Valley has them. Good, they will transfer them to this store for me. I went to pay for the two that I had. NO WALLET. I had left it in the pack-sack from my walk earlier. OMG. Could my day get any worse?
I had to leave the blinds at the store, on hold so I could pick them up tomorrow. Good thing that parking is free at the mall, so I was able to leave fairly quickly.
I got back in the car and rushed home to get my wallet so I could make my 3pm appointment. I saw an empty meter on the street, turned into a driveway so I could back up into the parking spot and just as I was backing up, a van drove up from the other way and took my spot!!! I'm normally a pretty laid back person. I don't get excited or frustrated easily. I'm usually quite calm. It took a lot of self restraint not to back right up into that van.
So, I put my money in the meter and go to the salon. I get there and my stylist is running 1/2 hour late and would I mind waiting?
N-O P-R-O-B-L-E-M!!

The salon is next door to where Lauren works, so I gathered my wits and enjoyed an espresso and cookie while I waited. By the way my day had gone so far I was sure I was going to either choke on my cookie or bite my tongue or something. [the caffeine actually calmed my nerves!]

Fast forward an hour and I left the salon with a brand new, radically different haircut and style! I'm still not sure what happened. I'm usually not that brave when it comes to my hair. I've had longish hair for as long as I remember and today I bit the bullet and said "do what you think would look good"! OMG what was I thinking? But really, it's not so bad. It'll take a little getting used to, but it's okay. Hair grows back, right?

I had 5 minutes to spare on the parking meter and I made it back home in one piece!
There's 6 hours I'll never get back!

________________________________
I know this pic doesn't have anything to do with my day, but it makes me smile!!


7 comments:

Deb said...

what a day! I hate days like that. Those are the kind you just want to crawl into your covers and just hide.

I have 4 dogs and there's no way I can walk them all at the same time without those haltis. They do whatever they can to get those buggers off, it drives me nuts. Yesterday I was walking all of them and the rat terrier started to pull me up the hill. I knew right away she got the thingie off her nose and sure enough, she did. As soon as I put it back on, she was walking nice again.

Will you be sharing pictures of you r new hair?

Sara said...

Oh, my!
The picture of Gracie made me smile, too.
I'm sorry that circumstances were in a conspiracy against you- or at least, that how it feels when I'm having a day like that. At some point, though, you just have to laugh- what could possibly happen next...?
I'm thinking you have the start of a really funny short story. It was fun to catch up with you again! It's been a long time.

Lauren Hartman said...

Holy smokes, what a crazy day. I hope you've recuperated! When do we get to see pics of your new hair? You're a tease posting about it without pics! :)

Jeanelle said...

You are correct, you can't enlarge or right click!

Lemme know how to add that to mine, if you get a chance!

THANKS!

Anonymous said...

Now that sounds like a very shitty day Debb!!!!!!!

I get earaches as well with the wind, my lil babies are very sensitive :(

Curious on the hairdo, pic please!

Karen

Anonymous said...

Yep, I have days like that too. And I loved the photo of your beautiful dog. I have a golden called Tess who is nearly 3 yrs old and is an epileptic with seizures every couple of weeks. Anytime life gets me too wrapped up in myself, I just take some time and give her a hug - her strength and unconditional affection in the face of all the problems she has gets me out of it in no time!

Team Design-Bytes said...

So put your camera on the timer and let's see the new do?!!
-Kaz
p.s. sorry your day was so awful, glad you made it through.

My Visitors

My Own Karma

kar·ma (kär'me) -- [from the root kri, "to do" "to make"] - is the means by which you become the architect of your own destiny....actions set in motion.....