Some days are just a 'bottoms-up' kind of day!!

Jan 20, 2007

I need three hands!

I took Gracie for a walk in the bush today and brought the new Pentax with me. I learned something. I need three hands.

With my old P&S, I used to hold the dog's leash in one hand and snap away with the other! Not so easy with a dSLR. I didn't actually have the dog ON the leash, but my pockets aren't big enough to put the leash IN, so I had to hold it in my hand. It's one of those retractable ones, so it's not like I could have just wrapped it around my neck to keep it out of the way.

So there I was, struggling with my footing, [there's not enough snow to walk on top of it and too much to be able to see the terrain underneath, so I was doing a lot of slipping, sliding and tripping!], trying to operate the camera controls and zoom ring AND focus AND set WB AND set my SS and fstop with one hand and freezing my fingers at the same time! Good thing I didn't have a pooper-scooper-bag with me! [I don't usually bring one in the bush. Bears poop in the woods don't they?]

Not to mention that I had to wear my clip on sunglasses because it was too bright outside. That posed a problem too because the clip-ons were too dark and without them was too bright! So I had to take them off when composing and put them back on when I was walking!

THEN, to make matters even worse, by batteries kept draining! I managed to take a few nice shots, but eventually the batteries died completely. I knew that might happen so I brought new ones with me, but my fingers were so cold, I didn't want to stop to change the batteries! I missed a great shot because of it. Picture this...a cluster of dried, hydrangea flowers silhouetted against backlit 4pm sunshine! Darn!

Note to self:
1. don't bring camera when walking alone with the dog
2. bring hubby on walks so he can hold the leash
3. get warmer gloves
4. wear a cap to stop the glaring sun from my eyes
5. have newly charged batteries in the camera
6. find third hand








6 comments:

Ingrid said...

Funny blog entry. Great shots too - the cool edited one, the wonderful closeup of your dog and the amazing bokeh on the last one. I spent some time outside today taking photographs - I'm having a terrible time getting the white snow to look white (it has a greenish tinge to it - even with custom white balance). I'll get it right if it kills me! :)

Jan said...

Nice captures. Thanks for sharing! I love the closeup of your dog the best...

Jenny said...

Great shots. I especially love the close up of your dog. Great shot. I loved your entry. I can totally relate.

Lorrie said...

WOW - those pics are awesome. They don't look like you needed a third hand! lol. Funny story! Great pics.

Anonymous said...

Funny! I can't figure out why God gave an octopus eight and us only two? It's nice to put a face to a name! Nice to meet you!

Sara said...

Oh man, I am still laughing.
I know that feeling. That is what I weigh in my mind before taking my camera with me anywhere- will I have the kids. Will they be on me, or will I have my hands free. Will I have help. Will I need my hands for balance, shopping, or any other necessary activity :) that may not allow me the amount of finger acrobatics I need to shoot manually? Will snapshots do?

My Visitors

My Own Karma

kar·ma (kär'me) -- [from the root kri, "to do" "to make"] - is the means by which you become the architect of your own destiny....actions set in motion.....