Some days are just a 'bottoms-up' kind of day!!

Mar 17, 2007

The end of winter

We went to camp yesterday. Daughter #2 and her boyfriend have been there all week - through the above 0º temps, the sun, the rain, the wind AND the sudden drop to -15º! In that time, the snowmobile broke. It works, but it only steers to the left! So to get anywhere, you have to straighten out the skis, drive as far as you can until it starts veering to the left... stop, straighten the skis out, reposition the snowmobile... and start all over! Needless to say, DD just left it by the shore. So, DH had to put it out of it's mysery for the rest of the season and retired it to the shed.
Luckily, we were able to take the Van across the lake. The snow that was on top of the lake had melted into solid ice, but there were tons of ruts and bumps from where the vehicles and sleds had been before. It made for very careful, slow driving, but we made it. The ice is still at least 12" thick, but there's very little snow left in the bush or on our property.
I have to go back tomorrow to bring DD and boyfriend back home. I'll likely pack up the bedding, close up the camp and wait until thaw. Forecast for next week is rain and temps back up in the mid teens. It's unlikely that we'd be able to get back to camp safely.
C'mon thaw!!!

Here's our humble, LITTLE, cottage abode.


The drive-to!


Practice with the Macro setting:




5 comments:

Krissynae said...

Very interesting photo. Love the close ups of the leaves. Great photos

robin said...

Brrrr... I thought we had it bad here but I guess it could be worse. If you couldn't guess, I don't like the cold. I love the photo of the fishing reel. The color and texture are great. I am thinking about getting a macro lens, looks like you are having fun with yours! I like your little cabin. Do you go there alot during the summer months?

Ingrid said...

That is one cool looking cabin with the vibrant door and trim. Nice macro leaf too.

Mom2Drew said...

I stopped at snowmobiling;) That's only my most favorite thing to do...LOVE it!!!

Like your cottage and the shot with the SUV on the snow/ice...I will miss the winter (probably the only one on the planet;)

Angela said...

Debb, thank you SO much! I adore that poem and now I know the author too! Thank you.

Angela

My Visitors

My Own Karma

kar·ma (kär'me) -- [from the root kri, "to do" "to make"] - is the means by which you become the architect of your own destiny....actions set in motion.....