Some days are just a 'bottoms-up' kind of day!!

Mar 6, 2007

Things that Make my Life Easier!





The POTD theme this week is to post objects of things that make your life easier. I'm gonna blog about how much I don't LIKE the new products that are out there that are SUPPOSED to make your life easier. I say, meh.

A lot of people have posted dishwashers, washers, dryers and appliances! Sure, I'm glad that I don't have to scrub my clothes on a washboard, or put them through a ringer like the 'olden days', but I love to hang my clothes out on the line. It does take a little longer, but at least I'm outside in the fresh air instead of my cold, dark laundry room! I can't wait to start doing that again once the temps go above freezing! The clothes not only smell better to hang them outside, but I find it much easier to fold them from the line than from out of a dryer!

As for dishwashers, some of you might be shocked to hear that I DON'T WANT ONE. My mom had one at our house when I was a teen. I remember the pain in the neck it was to roll out the washer [ours wasn't built-in], hook it up to the kitchen tap, then wait for the noisy cycle to be over, roll it back, empty the dishes, yadda, yadda, yadda. You call that easy? I'd rather wash dishes by hand while chatting with my family as they help dry and put away. Our first two houses had dishwashers and it was the first item that I got rid of. Nope, no dishwasher for me. Ever.

What's up with all those Swiffer products? It upsets me that with the state our world is in regarding waste and pollution that manufacturers are still making garbage-producing products!! I refuse to buy items that create more trash and waste. Each one of those little Swiffer wipe thingys have to be thrown away. And the bag that they come in. A broom, dustpan and cloth is what I use... and a bagless vacuum cleaner for my carpet.

I haven't bought a single bottle of Pledge or Fantastik or any other cleaning product in over 25 years. Most of the over-the-counter products are mostly water and few other ingredients. Some are extremely toxic. I make my own cleaner. It's all purpose and much safer... and cheaper, than the bought ones. My cleaner, a piece of newspaper, or a rag is all I need to make my house shine!

Convenience foods are supposed to make our life easier, give us more time for our families. That's all fine and dandy, but our children's lives won't be very easy if they have to live in a world full of health related problems from too many over-processed foods that are full of trans-fats, too much sugar and zero nutrition. Sure, that single-wrapped weiner is handy and cooks fast - but yuk! Pre-packaged everything, single-wrapped weiners, pre-cooked bacon, pre-cut/diced/sliced/chopped foods! I prefer natural foods that cook on the stove in the natural amount of time. I like to buy whole foods and foods without additives and junk. Sure, I love the odd chocolate bar or bag of chips, but I like to think that I'm a wise consumer when it comes to healthy eating... and recycling! I recycle EVERYTHING I possibly can.

I'll get off my soap-box now. I just couldn't for the life of me think of anything to take a picture of that makes my life easier. That's not to say that I don't appreciate having a vehicle to get me where I have to go, or a TV that entertains me, or a washing machine that cleans my clothes. It's just that all those items are a part of my life. I chose to have them. And I choose what NOT to have too!
I'll stop now before I get too carried away!! ha ha

The End!

p.s. Is there anybody else out there like me??

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Really like your captures.

I don't know if you have seen the show "How Clean Is Your House?" but they have had some great home made cleaning products. Maybe check out their website. I believe it came on A&E. Some examples are soda to clean the toilet (gets rid of the dirty ring if there is one), pure lemon oil with warm water to dust and polish wood, vinegar and water mixture for cleaning glass windows, ect.

While I agree with you about being watchful of our waste, sometimes it comes down to the health and well being of people. An example is my ds who has horrid allergies. I can't line dry my clothes. All of the allergens and pollution that I would bring into this house on our clothes would cause a bad reaction in him and trigger dd and my asthma. I guess I am greatful for these technological advances because I know my ds will be healthly and I know I can always throw in a frozen pot pie or pizza after a long day of taking care of an extemely colicy irritable baby. And hey the boxes go into the recycle bin. :-)

Angela said...

Yes yes yes! Me too!

Sometimes I think it's my age, but then loads of people my age have a dishwasher. I flatly refuse to have one, and I'm right there with you about the cleaning products.

Nice to know I'm not the only one,lol.

Mom2Drew said...

Say it girl!!

Lorrie said...

oK, I have to say, I dont' have a dishwasher either. gone out to buy one twice, both times came home with very expensive digi cameras! lol. couldn't afford both, so I went with the camera. There is only dh, dd and myself, so not too many dishes. I don't really mind the dishes unless I've got a house full of guests!

Michelle said...

i simply couldn't live without the dishwasher...my childrens' fav game is "fill the sink with glasses"! LOL. love your thoughts on "organic" cleaning. my mom always used vinegar and newspaper for the windows...

Jenny said...

I admire you Debb. I have been sucked into trying convenience products to come back to my feather duster and my bagless Dyson vacuum. I use cleaning solution I mix myself that I got from the Clean Team website (red juice). Non-toxic but does the job great and without a smell. I could totally see pushing the dishwasher to and from the sink, my MIL still has one. I'll keep my built in though. I've lived in my share of homes without one and didn't have one growing up so I guess I'm spoiled now and don't want to go back :-)

Carolyn said...

I totally agree with you on the products that create more waste and the prepackaged foods.

My friends often laugh at me when I get on my soapbox about living in a disposable society. I hate all of the disposable crap that they've come up with. Especially for babies, I mean disposable bibs WTH, what happened to using a bib washing it and then using it again...

I would love to get the recipe of your cleaner too...

~~Debb~~ said...

I have been making this cleaner for almost 25 years. By request, my recipe:

1/4 cup ammonia
1/4 cup alcohol
1 1/2 - 2 cups water
1 tsp. dish soap

Mix carefully, taking care not to breathe in ammonia fumes. Once diluted, the cleaner is less toxic than a lot of purchased cleaners.

I use this on almost every surface, even some woods. Take caution though on special wood finishes.

My Visitors

My Own Karma

kar·ma (kär'me) -- [from the root kri, "to do" "to make"] - is the means by which you become the architect of your own destiny....actions set in motion.....