Some days are just a 'bottoms-up' kind of day!!

May 17, 2007

My Plant




I am such a hoarder. Actually, I used to be much worse than I am now. I used to save everything. When Doug and I were dating, I saved movie tickets, restaurant coasters, labels, etc. When we had kids, I saved all their art work and school work and homemade gifts. Over the years, it got to the point where I had no room to keep all those things. One day I got into a major cleaning-up mode and I went through it all. I sorted out what was keepers and tossed the rest. It was SO hard, but I knew I couldn't logically keep it all. I took photos of some of the special things.
Some things are more special and sentimental than others. This is a plant that Meghan gave me when she was in kindergarten, [which was 20 years ago!!]. The class had started plants in a tiny little plastic cup for all the mothers for Mothers Day. Meg brought hers home so proudly! We transplanted it after a while into a bigger pot. Over the years, I had to continue to transplant it into bigger and bigger pots and so many times I came so close to losing it. I pick out the dead leaves, re-plant some of the stringers and it comes back to life!
Hang in there little plant, hang in there!!

3 comments:

Sue said...

Wow - that is cool. My 2 year old brought home a plant a couple of months ago. She was holding it in the back seat. Next thing I know she's telling me I need to fix something. I look back and she was holing the cup of dirt in one hand and the plant in another. It broke right at the stem. I tried to salvage it, but sadly couldn't. The cup of dirt is still sitting in the kitchen - I cna't find the heart to throw it away :)

Me said...

I really like that shot...and the story behind it. I have to admit that I don't understand the hoarder mentality. I am the exact opposite. I throw everything away.

Mom2Drew said...

What a cool sentimental object/living thing. I love plants...have one in every room of the house. To me, that fresh O2 is just something to be desired. Thank you for sharing your story and I enjoyed reading your journaling today.

My Visitors

My Own Karma

kar·ma (kär'me) -- [from the root kri, "to do" "to make"] - is the means by which you become the architect of your own destiny....actions set in motion.....