Some days are just a 'bottoms-up' kind of day!!

Feb 18, 2007

My love of technology


I am a gadget geek - a tech junkie! I love, love, love technology! I don't have a clue how things work deep down to the bare bones of it, but I know how to operate things! I have a PDA, a cool camera/mP3 cell phone, a laptop, a desktop PC, two VCRs, a DVD player, a portable DVD player, a portable CD/mP3 player, etc! I can work a remote control device like it's nobody's business! I can program a VCR in 7 seconds flat.

I am totally self-taught on all things electronic. Even family members call me if they can't figure out their TV or VCR or computer!

I see new gadgets in stores like Radio Shack or Future Shop and I just want them so bad - just because they're cool! Good thing I have restraint - or lack of funds which is the main reason I don't give in to impulse!

What really confuses me though is the hookups to these things. Sometimes I just can't figure out what wire goes where. I bought this device, called a GameBridge that allows me to record video or TV programs through through the VCR onto my laptop. It took me EIGHT hours to figure out how to set it up. After all that, it was such a simple solution. I was plugging it into the OUT jacks instead of the IN jacks - or was it the other way around? ha ha


And oh how I L-O-V-E my laptop! It stays in the living room where I can surf/play/watch/plan/edit to my heart's content while DH is watching TV -- or should I say flip TV. Why is it that men get a remote in their hands and feel the urge to flip, flip, flip.....?

Maybe the reason hubby flips is because he is totally cluless when it comes to these gadgets. He couldn't even set the time on the TV or VCR if his life depended on it! I even have to set the alarm on his watch!! Once in awhile, the VCR might be on [and to change channels you would need the remote in VCR mode] and DH would try to change channels in TV mode. Of course it won't work that way and DH goes into panic mode and yells, "De-e-e-e-b-b-b-b-b". If I wasn't there to fix things - he would likely just turn off the TV and give up!

So cheers to all things electronic! You make my life easier. You make my life happier.

There is ONE electronic machine that I will NEVER own. I have never had one, never wanted one and likely will never ever buy. Actually, I did have one, but I got rid of it! Can you guess what it is??
_____________
ETA - It's a DISHWASHER. I like the fact that doing dishes is a wind-down after dinner. It's especially nice when DH helps. I got rid of the dishwasher that came with both of the houses we lived in. I wanted my daughters to grow up knowing what the 'real' doing dishes was all about. I have never wanted one, don't miss it and I don't think I'll ever get one. Besides, I don't have enough dishes. I'm too much of a conservationist waste the water or to run the dish cycle on a daily basis, so after 2-3 days, I'd have no clean dishes left!!!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

love your photos! and i am the same way...except my problem is not in the set up it in the execution...LOL but my hubby is EXACTLY the same way. i set all clocks, gadgets, his cell phone, etc! maybe they are twins...

Sue said...

good dof on those. Like your commentary :) I can't figure out what thing you won't get!!

Sara said...

Welcome, Debb!
I'm so gald you're joining us.
LOL. I'm so the techno-klutz. Once DH shows me, I will figure out how to repeat something, but all things technology are counter-intuitive for me.
I just got a new fancy-schmancy coffee maker for valentine's. I have yet to make a cup of coffee the same way twice yet!

My Visitors

My Own Karma

kar·ma (kär'me) -- [from the root kri, "to do" "to make"] - is the means by which you become the architect of your own destiny....actions set in motion.....