Some days are just a 'bottoms-up' kind of day!!

Feb 21, 2007

My OPINION

PRO or not to PRO - the ongoing debate!

To start, I want to say that I strongly believe that nobody should falsely say that they are a Pro and charge Pro prices if they are not.

I have to agree with some Peas that said the following:

-[“Can someone please explain to me why this seems to be such a huge issue on this board? I'm not being snarky, I'm being serious. I just do not understand why someone here would care about what someone else was doing in their PRIVATE life when it doesn't affect anyone on this MB."] --
["I have noticed a bitter tone to anyone who is trying to learn or maybe to those who are not quite where they should be and are trying to start a business already……but in my VERY humble opinion, if that's what they want to do and people actually PAY them to do it, then each to their own…"]

-[ think the title “Pro” gets everybody messed up. I agree with Chris on what would make up a “Pro” photographer. But I think somewhere along the line people automatically assume that because someone has gone into business and is providing that service that they are claiming to be “Pros”.]

["You may be talented, you may excell at a certain kind of work, but if you aren't ready for anything and everything, you really have no business calling yourself a pro. To do so is disrespectful to those who ARE ready for the whatever happens scenario."]


___________________________

However, all that being said, I honestly don’t understand what the big deal is about ARGUING over pros v.s. non-pros.

It is unfortunate that some of these prowannabes don’t have a clue, but as the saying goes, “you get what you pay for.” No one wants to be scammed and we don’t want to be outdone by our competitors, however, regardless of how good the photographer is, or what kind of camera they have – they should be able to sell their services if they wish.
You may not agree with me, but hey... that's okay! This is MY opinion afterall.


Since I’m a huge fan of analogies…..[drives my daughters NUTS]

1. Group 1. There are oodles and oodles of musical artists out there. Some are professional artists who are signed with a huge, recognizable label. They are famous and have a huge fan base. Their CDs are bought up by the millions and their tunes are sung by every Tom, Dick and Harry. Perhaps these 'pros' have been trained professionally, perhaps some not.
2. Group 2. There are some awesomely great artists with an independent label. Some of them might not be as popular or be as good as the others. Some can’t afford the expense of managers, labels and fancy advertising. Perhaps the sound quality on their CDs isn’t quite as top notch. Maybe they are as talented as Group 1, maybe not!
3. Group 3. Some artists are just starting out and make and record their own CDs. Then there are some artists who truly suck. They might have a one-hit wonder or they make one album and are never seen or heard from again. Once again, some of these artists could be as talented as Group 1 or Group 2!

Some of these Groups might do cover tunes from some of the other groups. BUT, all of these artists sell their CDs in the same music store. Some really bad artists have their CD sitting on the shelf right next to the Celine Dion’s or Bon Jovi’s of the music scene. [gasp!!] Some people download tunes from these artists for free off the internet or they are borrowed and recorded. [gasp gasp]

I can’t play guitar very well and my voice cracks if I sing anything higher than an A#, but if wanted to record a CD – who can tell me that I can’t? I can even go so far as making dozens of copies of that CD and distributing them. I can sell them for ½ the price of the most popular artists because I choose to, because I can. I might know nothing about the recording business or how to market my CD. I might suck, but SO WHAT?? If I want to record and sell my CD, don’t I have the right? My peers might laugh at me or cringe when they hear my voice. Oh well!!

To all this I say, SO WHAT?? It’s a competitive world out there. Always has been and I don’t see that changing any time soon. You see dozens of restaurants on one street but you don’t see ALL the people going to just ONE of those restaurants do you? [oops sorry, another analogy!]

I guess the term PRO is just too vague. It means different things to different people. For me it TOTALLY comes down to one thing and one thing only. Don't sell yourself as a PRO if you're not, but if you're not a Pro but you still want to sell your wares... I say, go for it.
Okay, I’m done now.


Please feel free to comment here. I won't bash you or insult you. I appreciate OPINIONS.

7 comments:

Sara said...

well said.
I like the album analogy best.

I'm tired of all the moral outrage and designating who is pro or not. It's the latest drama- you know there'a always at least one hiding beneath the surface.

I want to stay out of the fray, but I hate when the board gets bashed. I love that place.

I would wish anyone who wants to make a go of it the best of luck...while I wipe my forhead and sigh, "whew". So not for me.
I do like your approach though~ maybe when the kiddos get bigger.

Cardas Photography said...

Here Here! Standing ovation from me.

I am tired of the moral indignation being thrown about on all of the photog boards I read.

There are so many mixed messages:

"Don't take money from people if you aren't a Pro"

"Why are you giving away your work? You are de-valuing the entire field of photography by doing that!!"

I have found my niche. I am sure I would get burned at the stake if people knew what I charged. But you know what? That is the client I WANT! I don't want to make $5,000 a wedding if it means I have to deal with "Bride-zilla" every freakin weekend. That wouldn't be fun or enjoyable to me anymore.

I LOVE the clients who can afford me and I am NOT going to feel bad about my prices - or the fact that I charge at all.

Phew. Thats been in me a while :)

Angela

jordan.krogman said...

couldn't have said it better myself! :)

Anonymous said...

This is by far the smartest thing anyone has said on the subject. I am in whole harted agreement!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the CD analogy...
it's always buyer beware and buy what you like. What does make a 'pro'? I'm still unclear. I you have your own thriving sucessful business with a large client base and you have been doing it for 8 years as the one person has done, your own studio etc but no formal training...are you a pro? I would call them a pro but I'm not in the photography business I just am not clear on prerequisites. I would call a pro anyone who does the type of pictures I like and handles themselves in a professional manner anytime I have to deal with them.... again I;m confused.

Anonymous said...

Well put.... I believe there is a niche for everyone. I have no real formal training and I am good... if I wasn't I still wouldn't be in business... I have had people who love my work and are repeats and I have had some come in and look at my work and go else where. To me professional means I can meet the needs of my clients no matter what the situation, that I handle myself appropriatly in every situation. Price and training have nothing to do with it.... but thats just my opinion.

Tere said...

Deb you are so right! I left the board because of all the bashing of "non pro" photographers by the "pro" photographers. The definition of a pro:


Of, relating to, engaged in, or suitable for a profession: lawyers, doctors, and other professional people.

Conforming to the standards of a profession: professional behavior.

Engaging in a given activity as a source of livelihood or as a career: a professional writer.

Performed by persons receiving pay: professional football.
Having or showing great skill; expert: a professional repair job.

So anyone who does any of the above is a pro. Like it or not.

My Visitors

My Own Karma

kar·ma (kär'me) -- [from the root kri, "to do" "to make"] - is the means by which you become the architect of your own destiny....actions set in motion.....