Some days are just a 'bottoms-up' kind of day!!

Jul 16, 2007

Heirloom Brooch

My Mother was raised in Holland. Being the only girl in a family of 6 brothers, she likely got spoiled by her mother with all the girly things. When my mother came to Canada, she was given many pieces of jewelry that belonged to her mother and her family. One piece is a gold brooch that holds a special significance in our family. My mother wore the brooch on her wedding day. My sisters wore it on their wedding day, as did I. I look forward to the day that my girls will wear it. I am not a fan of yellow gold and neither are my girls, but to know that the tradition will be upheld is a very treasured importance. I couldn't find a better photo, but here is one of me with the brooch on!

5 comments:

Jan said...

What a wonderful family tradition!! Very meaningful... I LOVE the picture of you---is that your wedding day?? Really beautiful! A real treasure...

Sara said...

I love family heirlooms. This picture doesn't mesh with the picture I have of you- I'd have expected a sundress, long flowing hair...

April Ziegler said...

Very cool heirloom... it'll be so special to get to pass that on to your daughters

~~Debb~~ said...

Sara, you are SO right! I wanted very badly to have an outdoor wedding: to wear a white eyelet peasant dress with empire waste and drop shoulders, long flowing hair with a crown of daisies and... BARE FEET. [Hey, I've always been a hippy and this was 1975!]
I caved and went with my family's suggestion of a conservative church wedding.
I still regret the wedding dress decision, but I certainly don't regret getting married and being happily married for almost 30 years!!!

Tori said...

What a wonderful tradition! Lovely picture, as well!

My Visitors

My Own Karma

kar·ma (kär'me) -- [from the root kri, "to do" "to make"] - is the means by which you become the architect of your own destiny....actions set in motion.....