Some days are just a 'bottoms-up' kind of day!!

Jul 12, 2007

Tall Sneakers

I was saving my favourite pair of shoes for my post today. But first, the story....
In 1971 when I was 13 years old, my mom, dad and I traveled to the Netherlands for an extended holiday. One month visiting my mom's 5 brothers and their families. Being 13 and totally into fashion and fads and everything fun, I was so enthralled with the trends in Holland. They were WAY ahead of us in terms of setting the styles. One of those trends was HOT PANTS!! Now, in Europe Hot Pants were very popular with the prostitutes. NOT that I was around any prostitutes, but Hot Pants had become quite the rage. I was hooked - I loved them! I remember a suit I bought. A little black bomber-style jacket [similar to a jean jacket] with tiny coloured flowers and Hot Pants to match. Now to go along with those Hot Pants that I bought, I needed some funky shoes. I wish I could remember where I bought them, but my calf-high runners were the COOLEST things I had ever seen. They are light blue denim sneakers, very similar to the punk sneakers of today.
When I returned to Canada, I was entering Grade 9. I wore those Hot Pants and sneakers to school! Wow! Shy little ol' me was getting looks left and right. I was so thrilled to be wearing a style that no one else was. It didn't take long before Hot Pants became popular, and it also didn't take long before they were BANNED at our school!!! To this day, the students can not wear any shorts shorter than the tips of their fingers when their hands are flat at their sides!
My daughters have worn those shoes to school, in plays, for Halloween, for 70's themed parties, etc. They are great shoes.
Anyhoo, I digress. Where is the photo you say?? Well, I went to the basement where I store the shoes. Not there. Then I remember that my daughter had loaned them to one of her dance students for a piece in Recital. Eeeks. Where are my shoes?? I am totally freaking out over the possibility that they're gone. I would surely die if they're lost. [I tend to get attached to old childhood keepsakes]. I'm sure that my DD knows where they are, but she's been so busy lately I can't seem to get her to LOOK!! As soon as I find them, I'll post a pic. They really are very cool for shoes that are 36 years old!!



***ETA -- THEY'RE FOUND!!! DD had them in the closet all along. I don't know how I missed them. I'll see if I can dig up a pic of me in the Hot Pants!!

14 comments:

Erika said...

Great story, hope you find those shoes, and a pic of you in Grade 9 with said shoes and Hot Pants, that'd be great!!! Also, I wanted to comment on the Klompen! My dad lived in the Netherlands for 2 years and speaks fluent Dutch. He always says "Ik hou van je" instead of the English "I love you" cause he gets all embarrassed about that stuff!! :) Anywho, we all had Klompen instead of stockings at Christmas and now, with my own family, I have carried on the tradition. People love the shoes around my tree when they come over. I ordered some online, and my parents got me another pair for my youngest ds when they recently went for a visit! Brought back Christmas memories, altho I have more traditional yellow, farmer ones! Thanks for Sharing! Erika

Erika said...

Debb~ I had to come back after you posted on my blog...you are too funny! Hilarious...I can picture all of those things too, and kept laughing as you described each one.

Sara said...

Love the story, Debb. Still smiling over the image of the hotpants and high sneaks. I hope you have them back soon.

Jan said...

Hot pants!!! How cool... I REALLY want to see those shoes now... Must find them and post. OK?? ;) Love your journaling today. Great job!

Amy said...

I'd love to see a picture of you in your outfit! Those shoes are totally awesome ~ haven't seen many like those around.

April Ziegler said...

Great shot. Love the dof. They must have made a killer combo w/ the hot pants! =)

amazing grace said...

fun post! and i like the warm lighting in your photo! :)

leah

Tera Fraley said...

I always enjoy your stories, they are very interesting. Those shoe are too cool!! Hang on to those, they will be fun- neat that your daughter gets to enjoy them now

Jan said...

OMGoodness!!! Those are just awesome! Yes, please do find a picture of you in the whole outfit. I'd love to see it!

And, really glad you found the shoes--what a treasure...

bprincephoto said...

The shoe picture is great! I love the story and can't wait to see that picture of you in your hot pants.

Dar Kaso said...

Great story to go with those groovey shoes man. Can't wait to see the hot pants!

robin said...

What a great story, Debb and cool shoes. Brings back memories of Hot Pants - I loved them. I'm hoping to see a photo of you in those Hot Pants! Have a fun and relaxing weekend at the cabin.

Team Design-Bytes said...

What a wonderful nostalgic story! I'm SO glad you found them, and they look like they are in GREAT shape.
Can't wait to see the hot pants!
-K

Kathy said...

Very cool shoes. I think my DD would be wearing them if she had them as she is a high top fan.

My Visitors

My Own Karma

kar·ma (kär'me) -- [from the root kri, "to do" "to make"] - is the means by which you become the architect of your own destiny....actions set in motion.....