Some days are just a 'bottoms-up' kind of day!!

Jul 11, 2007

Klompen


My mother was born and raised in Arnhem, Holland. She met my father overseas during World War II. He was an army cook and they met at a community hall at a dance. He was French Canadian and spoke little english. She was Dutch and spoke little english. To this day, we always wonder how they understood each other. However, they say that Love overcomes all!
I'm sure you've all heard of Wooden Shoes, aka Klompen. They really are used and worn in Holland, even today, particularly with Farmers. They were always left outside the door before going in to the house. At Christmas time, the children would expect treats from Sinter Klaas in their wooden shoes on St. Nicholas Day!
I have an old original pair of wooden shoes at the cottage. Right now I'm not really using them, but I'd like to make them into planters to hang on the wall.
Just last month my mother visited Holland, Michigan and she brought this Klompen back as a souvenir for me.

8 comments:

Tori said...

very cool! i like the lighting on it...

Amy said...

SO awesome! These are just amazing! Are they very comfortable?

Michelle said...

the original crocs! cool that you have an authentic pair. and you must have a wonderful family history. tfs!

Ashley Hiskes said...

Oh my husbands family would love that. They are from Holland and love anything Dutch.

Cindi Koceich said...

Awwww...that is so sweet about how your grandparents met! Love the shoe!!

Sara said...

Great story.Fun pic; I like the fuzzy socks under them too.

Jan said...

What a great story to go with this shoe. You've got some great and very interesting family history. Are they as uncomfortable as they look??? I've always thought they would be REALLY hard to walk in. Ha! Anyway, I'd love to see your old ones, too. Once again, Debb, you're rockin' this week's theme!

Me said...

Nikes they aren't. LOL I can't imagine they are very comfortable. I love this shot, and your journaling is fantastic.

My Visitors

My Own Karma

kar·ma (kär'me) -- [from the root kri, "to do" "to make"] - is the means by which you become the architect of your own destiny....actions set in motion.....